So, you made the change to LED several years ago and one of your LED drivers is on the fritz… what do you do next? Many customers call Bay Lighting looking for a replacement part for their LED fixture. Similar to a car, it’s important to replace a part with one that’s the right make and model. Replacement parts aren’t always easy and is that even the best approach to your situation. From years of experience, our lighting specialists can help guide you and find the best solution for your fixture.
What is an LED driver?
First, let’s go over the basic definition of an LED driver. LED lights operate through the use of LED drivers, which do exactly what you might think – drive power to one or more bulbs. The driver acts as an electrical current management system. AS you might know, LEDs don’t require much power. The driver works to convert AC (alternating current) into DC (direct current) and also works to protect your LEDs from power surges or other factors which might cause overheating.
What to do it you suspect a faulty driver?
It’s always helpful if you have a photograph of the replacement part to help identify the manufacturer name and part number. This is typically the first question a professional will ask when helping to solve your issue. Based on this information, the next step will likely be one of the following.
- Warranty Fixture Replacement – Many reputable manufacturers offer a free, no hassle warranty with their product so it’s also important to know when and where you purchased your product. This method can be much easier to resolve for all parties involved, so as you can see, it’s important to ask about your product’s warranty before purchasing. Reputable manufacturers with an extended no hassle warranty are preferred at Bay Lighting and if the product was purchased with Bay Lighting, customers can count on us for facilitating warranty replacements based on the respective manufacturer terms and guidelines.
- LED Driver Replacement – Once you determined the manufacturer and part number and have decided to move forward, your lighting specialist will begin their research. Replacing a driver can be an overwhelming task but from experience, we are pretty quick and knowing if a replacement will be able to be found or not. In our research, our goal is to determine if the:
- Fixture is still in production
- Fixture will allow for a tunable solution
- Warranty is still in effect
- LED Fixture Replacement – At times, finding an LED replacement driver is not an option. If this is the case, our specialist can assist with purchasing a new fixture that is the same as was previously purchased or recommend a similar option.
Replacing or updating drivers and other LED replacement parts can be an overwhelming task. Through knowledge and experience a lighting professional can help you find the best solution, saving you hours of research time. For more information about replacing LED drivers, contact a member of the Bay Lighting team at 301-858-9494.