Light Bulb Recycling
Bay Lighting’s Recycling Program helps businesses preserve the environment, reduce waste, and comply with EPA regulations. We partner with a fully-permitted lighting and electronics recycling specialist. Rest assured, you can count on safe and easy light bulb recycling that is EPA, OSHA, and DOT compliant.
How to Recycle With Bay Lighting
We love providing a manageable, no-hassle recycling process for our customers. Following light bulb recycling laws doesn’t have to be intimidating. Our process consists of the following:
- Designate an area at your facility for light bulb recycling.
- Collect lamps in a separate container to avoid breakage. We recommend using the box that your new lamps arrived in. Ballasts and batteries can be stored in a separate box. As a reminder, we do not accept broken lamps.
- When you’re ready for a pick-up, seal your recycling box and schedule a pick-up.
- Avoid pick-up fees by pairing your recycling with a new bulb order. Leave the rest to us!
Recycling Program Benefits
- Recycle lamps, ballast, and batteries
- Simple $1.89 per pound cost
- No hidden pickup fees or fuel surcharges
- Maximizes storage space by having your used bulbs picked up frequently
- Saves time and resources by combining lamp delivery with recycling pickup
- Customers will receive a certificate of recycling compliance
Fluorescent lamps provide a significant cost savings for commercial properties because they are four to five times more efficient than incandescent bulbs. Fluorescent lamps also last longer than incandescent or halogen lamps and require less frequent replacement.
However, energy-efficient lighting products such as fluorescent lamps, CFLs, and high intensity discharge (HID) lamps contain small amounts of mercury. While lamps are not a major source of mercury pollution, the improper disposal of large numbers of lamps does add to mercury in the environment.
The US Environmental Protection Agency has special regulations for mercury-containing lamps, which eliminates excessive paperwork, alleviates transport issues, and helps keep disposal costs low, easing the path for lamp recycling.
WHAT DO WE RECYCLE?
Currently, we accept the following items:
- LED, fluorescent, neon, CFLs, and high density discharge (HID) lamps
- Batteries larger than a size D
- Detectors – ask a representative about this specialized process, as it differs from our traditional recycling program
We recommend keeping the original box to store your recyclables. However, should you need a box for your recycling, we also sell special boxes for each item. Ready to recycle with Bay Lighting? Click here (https://baylighting.net/recycling/) to get your free quote today, or contact a sales representative at 301-858-9494 to schedule a pickup.