Bay Lighting’s Recycling Program helps facilities improve the environment, reduce waste, and legally comply with EPA regulations. We partner with a fully-permitted, environmentally compliant, lighting and electronics recycling specialist so rest assured, you can count on safe and easy recycling that is EPA, OSHA, and DOT compliant.
How do I Recycle with Bay Lighting?
We love surprising our customers with our manageable, no hassle, recycling process. Following recycling laws doesn’t have to be intimidating. Here are your steps to recycling with us:
- Designate an area at your facility for your recycling.
- Collect lamps in a separate container to avoid breakage. We recommend using the box that your new lamps arrived in. Ballasts and batteries can be stored in a separate box. As a reminder, we do not accept broken lamps.
- When you’re ready for a pick-up, seal your recycling box and schedule a pick-up.
- Avoid pick-up fees by pairing your recycling with a new bulb order and leave the rest to us!
Recycling Program Benefits
- Recycle lamps, ballast, and batteries
- Simple $1.89 per pound cost
- No hidden pickup fees or fuel surcharges
- Maximizes storage space by having your used bulbs picked up frequently
- Saves time and resources by combining lamp delivery with recycling pickup
- Customers will receive a certificate of recycling compliance
Fluorescent lamps provide a significant cost savings for commercial properties because they are four to five times more efficient than incandescent bulbs. Fluorescent lamps also last longer than incandescent or halogen lamps and require less frequent replacement.
However, energy-efficient lighting products such as fluorescent lamps, CFLs, and high intensity discharge (HID) lamps contain small amounts of mercury. While lamps are not a major source of mercury pollution, the improper disposal of large numbers of lamps does add to mercury in the environment.
The US Environmental Protection Agency has special regulations for mercury-containing lamps, which eliminates excessive paperwork, alleviates transport issues, and helps keep disposal costs low, easing the path for lamp recycling.
WHAT DO WE RECYCLE?
Currently, we accept the following items as part of our recycling program:
- LED, Fluorescent, neon, CFLs, and high density discharge (HID) lamps
- Batteries larger than a size D
- Detectors – ask your representative about this specialized process as it differs from our traditional recycling program
We always recommend keeping the original box to store your recyclables; however, should you need a box for your recycling, we also sell special recycling boxes for each of the items we recycle. Ready to recycle with Bay Lighting? Click here (https://baylighting.net/recycling/) to get your free quote today or contact a sales representative at 301-858-9494 to schedule a pick-up.